- 4 sprigs of fresh mint
- 2 lemons
- 1⁄4 clove of garlic
- 200g natural yoghurt
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 x 200g free-range skinless chicken breasts
- olive oil
- 2 to 3 thick slices of bread (roughly 120g)
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
Prep and cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes, plus marinating
2 mixing bowls
Baking tray (roughly 25cm x 30cm)
Food processor (standard blade)
1. Pick and finely chop the mint leaves on a chopping board, discarding the stalks, then add them to a mixing bowl.
2. Use a microplane to finely grate the zest of half a lemon onto the board, then transfer to the bowl.
3. Cut 1 lemon in half.
4. Squeeze the juice into a bowl, using your fingers to catch any pips.
5. Peel and very finely chop the garlic on a board, then scoop it up and add to the bowl.
6. Add the yoghurt and a tiny pinch of salt and pepper, then stir everything together.
7. Have a taste and add a squeeze more lemon juice, if you think it needs it.
8. Add half the herby yoghurt to a small bowl and place in the fridge covered with clingfilm.
9. On a chopping board, carefully cut the chicken lengthways into 2cm strips, then add to the bowl of dip.
10. Wash your hands, the board and the knife, then mix everything together with a spoon, making sure the chicken is well coated in the dip.
11. Cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge for around 30 minutes to marinate. Meanwhile...
12. Preheat the oven to 190oC/375oF/gas
13. Lightly grease a baking tray with olive oil.
14. Using a microplane, finely zest the remaining lemon onto a clean chopping board.
15. Tear the bread into rough chunks, add to a food processor and whiz until fine.
16. Put the breadcrumbs into a mixing bowl, then add the lemon zest, paprika and a tiny pinch of salt and pepper and mix well.
17. Tip the breadcrumbs out onto a large plate.
18. Remove the chicken from the fridge then, one- by-one, dip and turn each piece of chicken in the breadcrumbs to coat.
19. Place onto the greased baking tray, leaving a small gap between each piece, then wash your hands.
20. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
21. Use oven gloves to place in the hot oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
22. Serve the chicken strips on a serving plate with the small bowl of the herby yoghurt dip from the fridge (do not use any of the excess dip from the bowl of raw chicken) and a fresh tomato salad.
About this recipe
Jamie's Top Tip
“Try adding an extra herb or two to the dip along with, or instead of the mint – dill and parsley work well, but use whatever you’ve got growing that looks healthy and strong.”