An epic road trip led to the 75 meals and 70 condiments in this great little cookbook.
- 2–3 Scotch bonnet chillies
- small pinch of sea salt
- 2 large tablespoons sugar
- juice of 4 limes
- 1 1/2 x 400g (14oz) tins of peeled plum tomatoes
- a handful of coriander (cilantro), chopped
- 1lb tub of freshly picked white crabmeat
- 1 small cucumber, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 bunch of chervil, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of tarragon, finely chopped
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- a pinch of chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 8 tostadas
- breddos hot sauce to taste
- 2 limes, quartered
- a few sprigs coriander (cilantro), to serve
Make breddo’s Hot Sauce
We highly recommend wearing silicone kitchen gloves when making this recipe. (Makes 2 cups.)
Remove the stalks and quarter the Scotch bonnets. If you want to reduce the heat of the sauce, remove the seeds at this stage. Put the Scotch bonnets into a blender and blitz.
Add the salt and sugar and squeeze in the lime juice. Blitz again for a moment. Add the tomatoes and coriander and blitz again. The tomato taste should fall into the background, with sweet citrus flavors coming through and building, with quite a long-lasting heat.
Make the Tostada
Sift through the crab to ensure that there’s no shell in there. Put it into a bowl and combine with the cucumber, chervil, tarragon and lemon zest.
In another bowl stir together the mayonnaise and mustard. Add the crabmeat mixture, along with the poppy seeds and chilli flakes, and combine.
Spoon some melted butter onto a tostada and put the crabmeat on top. Serve with a wedge of lime, some breddos hot sauce and some coriander.
About this recipe
Recipe from breddos Tacos by Nud Dudhia and Chris Whitney, Quadrille Publishing, 2017. Photo: Kris Kirkham. Buy breddos Tacos at Amazon.
Related Stories & Recipes
You'll never settle for simply roasting a quail again.
Pineapple spicy relish and red curry paste turn beef short ribs into something incredible.