- 2 tablespoons liquid coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 3 large red beets, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 5 cups rich chicken or vegetable stock, divided
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk (not “lite”)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: chopped chives, cilantro, dill or parsley
Makes 4 servings
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, 5 minutes.
Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.
Add beets and 4 cups stock; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until beets are fork-tender, 20 minutes.
With an immersion or using a regular blender and working in batches, puree soup, adding remaining 1 cup stock as needed to reach desired consistency.
Stir in coconut milk, salt and pepper.
Garnish with optional herbs, if desired.