- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion salt
- 1 (7-pound) top round roast, fat cap intact
- 2 tablespoons jarred beef soup base, such as Better than Bouillon
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons refrigerated garlic paste (from tube)
- 3 cups chopped yellow onion
Stir together the dried minced onion, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and onion salt in a bowl.
Pat the roast dry with a paper towel.
Using the back of a spoon or your hands, rub the beef soup base all over the roast.
Rub the tomato paste over the roast, and coat with the minced onion mixture.
Combine the wine and 1 cup water in a 6-quart slow cooker.
Put the roast, fat cap side down, in the slow cooker, and rub the roast with the garlic paste.
Top with the chopped onion.
Cover and cook on low until the roast is tender and shreds easily, about 10 hours.
Reserve the cooking liquid in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
About this recipe
If your schedule demands that you can’t check on this roast after 10 hours, don’t worry; it’ll just keep getting better!