Ten Dinners That Make Great Lunch Box Leftovers
1. Chicken Drumsticks: Wrap a napkin around the leg to keep things tidy.
2. Chili: Pack with a little stack of tortilla chips or crackers to do the scooping.
3. Kebab: Pull the fixings off the skewer and tuck into a pita pocket along with a side of plain yogurt or salad dressing to drizzle on at the lunch table.
4. Pasta: Dribble a little water over leftover pasta to moisten any sauce that’s been absorbed, and then reheat well and store in a thermos.
5. Meat Loaf: Slice and serve between a couple of pieces of whole-wheat bread with a squirt from the ketchup bottle.
6. Homemade Soup: Consider every variety of soup suitable for leftovers; pack with a container of crackers or croutons for added crunch.
7. Grilled Veggies: Stack them inside a split baguette with a smear of goat cheese for a sophisticated and healthful meal.
8. Pizza: Pack warm or cold, homemade or from a pizza parlor.
9. Chicken Parmesan: Cut into “finger”-size portions and accompany with a little container of marinara sauce for dipping.
10. Mexican Entrées: Heat up leftover enchiladas, tamales, or burritos and keep warm in a thermos.
Excerpted from Best Lunch Box Ever (Chronicle Books, 2013).